The Right Lawyer,
for the Right Reasons

Attorney Jordan Van Matre

Answering Your Car Accident Questions

Car accidents occur every day in Georgia. When you are the victim of a car accident, you likely have many questions about how to proceed. The following are some of the frequently asked questions we encounter at The Law Office of Jordan K. Van Matre, P.C.. Of course, everyone’s situation is different, and there is nothing that can replace the advice and guidance you receive from meeting one-on-one with a lawyer.

Can I seek damages from the other driver?

You can file a personal injury claim if you were hurt by the negligent actions of another driver. Examples of negligence include speeding, driving under the influence, distracted driving or even just being a bad driver.

The other driver didn’t break any laws. Do I still have a claim?

A personal injury claim is a civil claim, not a criminal one. A driver may still be found to have acted negligently even if no laws were broken.

Do I have a claim against anyone who isn’t the other driver?

It depends. If the driver left a bar or a restaurant and was served to the point where the staff should have known that the driver was intoxicated, it may be possible to pursue a claim against the establishment. If the accident resulted from a faulty auto part, it may be possible to seek compensation from the manufacturer. Our attorney will thoroughly review the circumstances surrounding the crash in an effort to explore all available avenues of compensation.

The crash occurred at a low rate of speed. Do I really need to seek medical attention?

You should always seek medical help following an accident. Some injuries may not make their symptoms known until days, weeks or even months after the crash occurred. Establishing a medical paper trail can help strengthen your claim down the line.

When do I have to file a personal injury claim?

In Georgia, you have two years to file a personal injury lawsuit. The date begins on the day of the accident. Once you have sought medical help, you should consider reaching out to a lawyer as soon as possible. Those two years can come up much more quickly than you may think.

Contact Us With Your Questions

If you or a loved one has been seriously hurt in a car accident, we are here to answer your questions and to help explore your options. To schedule a free consultation, call our law office in McDonough at 678-812-5147. You may also contact us online.